The Gender Question


One of the first things people asked us was 'Are you going to find out what you're having?'

I always knew I wouldn't want to find out. 

I did wonder if that might change when one was really growing in there, but it hasn't. I really don't want to find out what it is. It's a boy or a girl. I don't mind which we have. 

It's too much of a cliche isn't it? 'I just want a happy, healthy baby.' But it is so true. It's all I want and I really don't have any preferences as to what it is. S doesn't either, although he would find out if I wasn't so headstrong. 

It is such a personal choice and of course there isn't a right or wrong answer. People have lots of reasons for finding out and leaving it a surprise. Some of the people I've spoken to who have found out said they did so because they just couldn't wait, or because they wanted to prepare clothes and a nursery, because they wanted to choose names or, one lady, said she felt it was her right to know who was growing in her body. People have said they didn't trust the gender though and still held back on buying neutral bits until it was born.

Other people have said they didn't want to find out because once you know, it's just a case of waiting for it to be born if a name and gender are already known. Others said it was because they truly didn't care if it was a boy or a girl; some said that you can't change it any way. 

For me, it is just truly about not wanting to know and wanting that surprise when they're handed to us. What else is kept a secret for 9 months? Who are we going to meet? 

I am really worried now though about going for a scan, especially a 4D one, and seeing a little willy and ruining it. I am convinced it's a boy and know I won't be able to stop myself from seeing one, although my friend said she and her husband 'definitely saw a willy' and, of course, their baby was a girl. So I'll keep my eyes shut and only look when I'm told to I think!

Comments

Popular Posts